First round of negotiations between Együtt and MSZP-P “very hopeful” but inconclusive

March 23, 2018

Együtt will appeal ÁSZ fine on court
Photo: MTI/Balázs Mohai

Politicians of Együtt (Together) and the Hungarian Socialist Party-Dialogue (MSZP-P) alliance did not reach an agreement on candidate coordination in individual electoral districts but the parties might withdraw their candidates in favor of each other in a few electoral districts, Együtt prime ministerial candidate Viktor Szigetvári (pictured) stated on state-run Kossuth Rádió’s 180 perc program, reports state news agency MTI.

According to Szigetvári, the Thursday night meeting between the two parties was “very hopeful.” Talks would continue on Monday, he said. Szigetvári stressed that his party had already done a lot in order to reach an agreement with MSZP-P, and that the parties had made “a few steps forward” during the week.

On the state-run M1 news channel, Szigetvári said opposition voters expect opposition parties to coordinate their candidates in as many electoral districts as possible to oust the Fidesz-Christian Democratic People’s Party government. Jobbik’s participation, however, cannot be a requirement of a possible opposition cooperation, he added, presumably referring to LMP’s position that any broad cooperation on the part of opposition parties should include the radical rightwing party, which also happens to be the second-largest party in parliament.

MSZP-P prime ministerial candidate Gergely Karácsony initiated talks with Együtt and Momentum Movement Tuesday afternoon. The invitation was accepted by Együtt chairman Péter Juhász but declined by Momentum.