Some 150-200 members of the National Roma Government and relatives have reportedly received summons to meet National Tax and Customs Administration (NAV) investigators this month, reports ATV. Criminal investigators are looking into the alleged theft of public funds within the framework of the controversial “Bridge to the World of Work” program between April 2014 and July 2015.
Fidesz deputy chairman Szilárd Németh recently told ATV that parliament would lift the immunity from prosecution of Fidesz MP Flórián Farkas should this be requested by the chief prosecutor’s office. Farkas, the government’s commissioner for Roma affairs, was recently dropped from the parliamentary committee on European affairs.
Roma Civil Rights Movement chairman Mihály Dancs told ATV that only people who concluded contracts with the National Roma Government (ORÖ) had been summoned to appear.
The Ministry for Human Resources announced on March 8 that it suspected irregularities had taken place and it was demanding that beneficiaries return a total of HUF 1.6 billion worth of subsidies.
NAV launched an investigation into budgetary fraud by an unknown suspect in May last year. A number of documents were seized after a search of ORÖ’s Gellért Hill property.
ATV obtained copies of contracts exceeding HUF 1 million concluded within the framework of the Bridge to the World of World project. According to ATV, they were signed by Farkas until the end of 2014, and thereafter by the head of the authority.